At this point in my life I feel like I could possibly write a book entitled Single Girls Guide to DIY. I was never one to shy away from work around the house but now that I have no choice but to get on with it I seem to be tackling bigger jobs all the time.
We have lived here for a year now and the kitchen was just way too small for what I need, there was such little room that when you opened the fridge door it touched the sink on the other side of the room. After redesigning the kitchen on paper I set to work ripping out worktops and units, being careful enough to keep the units in one piece so that a move around was possible for as little cost as possible. Of course moving things around brings it own issues, skirting boards for example are missing in places behind units – obviously whoever fitted the kitchen previously cut corners at every possible chance. Thankfully I have found a match at SkirtingsRus so that is one issue that is easy to solve.
I worked out that I only needed a 1.7m length of worktop yet all online orders were either 1.5 or 3m and I am not confident enough to be cutting and positioning worktop just yet! Having searched online I found one of the wood ones I had coveted early as an off cut from someone who had purchased excess for their own kitchen… 1.7m to be exact and £30 later it was mine. Some things just happen for a reason and this I believe is one of those things – maybe the universe knew I wasn’t ready to be let loose with a mitre saw just yet!
The flooring I ordered was a huge bargain for vinyl that looks like wood but after discovering my order was going to be delayed longer than anticipated I called and explained that I would have to change the order. They switched up the flooring for me to one that was almost double the price and promised next day delivery! Now that is what I call service!
Now all I need to do is source the cream sink and take delivery of my fabulous new Rangemaster oven and I will be ready to share the before and after photographs. I think next it might be the bathroom but I am wondering if that might be a step too far in the DIY stakes!
This is a collaborative post