I love incorporating different ingredients into recipes so when Hayman’s Gin got in touch to say they had created a delicious dessert with their Sloe Gin as one of the components, it just had to be added to my Valentine menu! Here is the recipe and shopping list for Hayman’s Sloe Chocolate Mousse.
• 200ml Hayman’s Sloe Gin
• 200g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate, broken into pieces (set aside 20g for garnish)
• 600ml double cream
• 3 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
• 100g sloe berries
• 100g caster sugar
1. Place the sloe berries in a pan with three quarters of the sugar and warm over a low heat.
2. Stir to combine, allow the sugar to dissolve and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Press the cooked berries through a sieve using the back of a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool.
4. Place the chocolate pieces in a bowl set over a bain-marie at a low simmer, allowing the chocolate to melt slowly.
5. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
6. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before stirring in the egg yolks (mix thoroughly, to avoid any lumps), followed by the sweetened sloe coulis (keep 20g aside for garnish) and 100ml of Hayman’s Sloe Gin.
7. Whisk the double cream with the rest of the caster sugar until it forms rough peaks
8. Slowly stir in 100ml of Hayman’s Sloe Gin little by little to the whipped cream, to prevent the cream from curdling.
9. Set a little of the cream mixture aside for garnish and fold the rest into the chocolate mixture.
10. Whisk the egg whites until they become soft peaks and fold into the rest of the mixture.
This is a gifted collaboration