Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
275g (10oz) self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
150ml ( ?pt) milk
5tbsp vegetable oil
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1tsp vanilla extract
397g can Carnation Caramel
100g (3 ?oz) chopped pecan nuts (optional)
You will also need:
12 hole muffin tin and muffin cases
1. Preheat the oven to 190 ?C, 375 ?F or Gas Mark 5.
2. Place the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, oil, mashed bananas and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, without beating.
4. Drop spoonfuls of the caramel into the mixture, gently swirl through, but don’t mix it in – its nice to see little pockets of caramel bubbles in the finished muffins.
5. Place muffin cases in the tin and spoon the mixture into the cases until quite full. Top with the chopped pecan nuts, if using.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and eat fresh and warm.
These muffins are delicious straight from the oven – perk them up the next day by microwaving for 10 seconds to warm the caramel.