It has always been a bit of a running joke that when visitors are due around we all run around frantically with the polish, spritzing it in the air to give that clean smell, I know we are huge lovers of wet wipes in this house so everything tends to get a quick wipe if someone is calling! Things are pushed under sofas and beds and we fear the un-nerving glances at the piles of unwashed dishes that you meant to do the night before!
Fear not because we are not alone!
The team at Vorwerk asked me to take part in their Season’s Cleanings campaign, designed to reveal the lengths people go to when it comes to impressing guests – .
Did you know that one in five UK adults worry about their parents’ opinions before welcoming them into our homes according to German home appliance manufacturer Vorwek. Whilst we worry about what our own parents think the numbers drop when it comes to the in-laws with just one in nine worrying about what they think when visiting! That fear of judgment seems to only carry through to our immediate family!
Before any guest arrives more than 52% of us spend between one and two hours cleaning and only 20% spend less than an hour – the other 28% spend more than two hours! (I know which team I am in and I am not declaring for fear of judgement!) haha
The vacuum is the first thing we head for with 75% wanting a clean floor, 45% tidy up, 39% clean the bathroom (this is always my first port of call as its the only place people will be alone and have time to judge!), 38% spend time dusting and 25% washing up. I know that the bathroom is my first place to tidy followed by any dishes that are still standing from the night before (I know!!) and then a quick vacuum!
It is not surprising that men and women have different approaches to visitors coming. Whilst 46% of women will fly into a panic and cleaning frenzy only 24% of men feel the need to do some tidying up! I have to admit to being one of the 8% who would actually suggest meeting somewhere else too if I thought I couldn’t get the house looking how I would like it to before visitors came. This is the joy of having small children unfortunately and there will always be chocolate hand prints and porridge stains mid morning!
There could be areas of the UK where you are most likely to find a clean house if you are stopping by unannounced. While 42% of households in the South West will do a frantic clean to welcome you, only 24% in Wales will be prepared to get the vacuum out.
In fact, people in Wales are the most relaxed about unannounced guests in their homes, with 39% of people saying mess isn’t a problem. This compares with only 22% of residents in Northern Ireland having the same laid back attitude.
Lynsey Queen of Clean’s top tips for getting your home guest ready:
1. Start off by clearing the entrance of your home so guests don’t fall clutter when they walk in. Make sure your door mat is clean by giving it a shake and sweep away any dirt.
2. Next, clean the kitchen. Put any dirty dishes in the sink or dishwasher and make sure your tea towels are clean. Spray a damp microfiber cloth with all-purpose spray and use it to wipe over kitchen surfaces and brush crumbs onto the floor, then vacuum the room.
3. Guests are likely to spend a lot of time in your living room. Tidy away cluttersuch as books and magazines, and if you have a pet, rub your furniture with a damp rubber glove to remove pet hair. Spray your sofas with a fabric freshener and turn your cushions over instead of vacuuming them to save time.
4. The bathroom is an area in your home where your guests will spend time alone and will make judgements about how clean it is! If you only have a minute, do these three things: 1. Get an antibacterial wipe and wipe down the sink, the toilet seat (with a new one) and underneath the base of the toilet. 2. Scrub the inside of the toilet. 3. Get a new fresh hand towel.
5. Lastly, if there’s a room in your home that you don’t want guests to enter, simply closing the door will make them less likely to go in.
For more tips and advice on how to get your home spick and span and ready for the festive season please visit Vorwerk.
Vorwerk offers the ultimate home cleaning solution. Combining German engineering, expertise, and ingenuity, Vorwerk has the products needed to keep the modern home clean, hygienic, and ready for everything that life throws at it.
Already found in millions of European homes, the Vorwerk Kobold VK200 is much more than a vacuum cleaner. It’s a high-tech solution to deep-clean carpets, hard floors, curtains, and mattresses.
This is a collaborative post with Vorwerk.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.